May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Thursday, May 02, 2024

NEW MATH? OR PICKING POCKETS?

 So I'm watching Good Morning America (ABC) and they had a story on those automatic tip calculaters that restraunts offer when you get ready to check-out/leave ...

Have you ever actually done the math ... YOURSELF???

I'm going to guess a lot of people these days were never taught how to do a quick "tip calculation" in their heads ... that might involve actually teaching the kids sometthing useful ...

Anyways ... in the news story the total cost of FOOD came to $27.00 ... no tax, no tip YET.

According to the calculator the restraunt provided goes like this:
15% = $6.00
18% = $7.00
20% = $8.00
(there was also a 25% and a "custom" option, but they did not show those "calculations")

UMMM ... someone is NOT Smarter Than A 5th Grader!!

Here's what you do ... take the price
$27.00
Move the decimil point to the LEFT by one space ...
$2.70
That is 10% ... move it to the LEFT once more ...
$0.27
To get 1% ....

see how easy?

So for a 15% tip, you should only be paying $4.05!!! Not the $6 they say ...
Wait it gets better ...

The restraunt says that the tip is based on BEFORE discountes are taken off the menu ... and after TAXES!!!

Wait ... they not only calculated in the cost of a meal which was SENT BACK for some reason - either way, NOT consumed - but also based on TAX?????

Since when do CUSTOMERS pay the tax on a tip???

You aren't passing that tip onto the tasman ... 

Tips are EARNED for good service ... this means ALL the service, from the moment the customer walks in the door to the moment they pay the bill ...

It is NOT - nor should it ever be assumed, that waitstaff will be tipped.

Yes - I was a WAIT STAFF ... I worked as a waitress during my early college years, in fact it was how I paid for my second year of college (I lived at home and walked most days 2 miles to college) ...

And you know what?

I did NOT always get a tip ... and I didn't gripe ... I didn't groan

I thought "What could I have done better?" and then I applied it to my next customer.
Sometimes it wasn't me, it was the kitchen ... those ones were rough - I felt like I was getting "punished" when it wasn't even my fault ... but you know what??

If I didn't like it ...

I could have FOUND ANOTHER JOB where pleaasing people wasn't a large part of the pay ...

I will admit, I was lucky ... my boss paid me MINIMUM wage, BEFORE tips were added in ...
It was not until after I sttarted working there that they started taxing tips as income ... 
I did not work there long after I had to start reporting my tips ....
I couldn't take the "hit"

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets