May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Monday, December 17, 2007

Resurrection of the old recipe

Update-Followup post with photo & analysis here

Have you ever had a favorite recipe go missing? In my case the recipe is one I ran across in a cookbook that I used all the time but that particular section I tried to avoid like one of the plagues ... bread.

Well this particular book was used so much that soon the binding gave way...the pages began to fall out and when we moved was packed no so nicely by my helpers into an old grocery bag with many other old cookbooks. Now I know I have seen this particular cookbook several times since the move 6 yrs ago...and I know that many of the recipes I wanted did not make it with the book (it was missing a section). I think hubby has thrown out my dear friend, which might explain why he hasn't complained when I have bought several more cookbooks looking for this recipe.

So for the last 6 yrs I have been looking, and the family has been missing out on my Three Kings Bread however, I have found a simular pattern recipe which I am trying to convert to this much loved family favorite. It is a simple batter bread which I've changed and am trying out. Here's the recipe:



  • Three Kings Bread
    this bread does not need kneading, the beating of the batter takes care of that for you {how simple is that?!}

    3/4 C sweetened condensed milk
    3/4 C warm water, divided
    1 tsp. granulated sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 C. butter, softened
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 package ~or~ 1 cake ~or~ 2 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
    2 1/4 C All Purpose Flour (or in my case two heaping cupfuls, why overly
    measure?)
    1 tsp. each cinnamon & nutmeg
    1/2 C. walnuts or pecans, chopped bigger than fine but smaller than
    course.
    1/2 C. raisins, seperated from each other (you can coat with flour or
    powdered sugar if need be)
    1/2 C. other dried fruit (for large fruit like prunes, apricots, or dates
    coursely chop them)

    In small bowl or coffee cup, proof the yeast in 1/4 C of the water & sugar, stir to dissolve yeast...let set for 5-10 minutes to make sure yeast is
    alive.

    In large bowl or baking pan...beat together milk, renaining water, salt; add proofed yeast, egg, and butter. Add flour and spices beating well (at least 100 times) until all flour is incorporated...

    It should be a very soft sticky dough that forms a nice ball on its own, but not runny.

    Cover bowl with warm damp cloth and let rise 2 hrs in warm place until doubled in size....I heat oven to 225oF then turn off the heat before I begin to make the batter, if you are lucky enough to have a gas oven that will let you turn the light on while the door is shut (I miss mine) just turning that light on during rising works beautifully.

    Beat the batter 20-30 strokes then add in the fruit & nuts working in as well as possible distributing them as evenly as possible without over working the dough. Let rise a second time for 45 minutes (it should be light).

    Bake 350oF for 35-45 minutes...depends on your oven, may take a tad longer. If you'd like you can sprinkle the top with cinnamon-sugar.
    Let cool completely, turn out onto platter...crisscross top with squeezed heated can frosting. Serve in slices with plenty of butter.


YUM!

I use silicone bowls that are heat resistance--it cuts down on the dirty dishes as I can mix, rise, and bake all in the same dish...and most silicone is naturally stick resistant so it just pops out when its cooled.

If this recipe turns out I will post photos, although I have to warn you....I've used this oven for 6 yrs now and I STILL can not figure out its timing....

I so hate electric ovens.

2 comments:

omly said...

So how did it go?

Ginger said...

Hee hee I was just going to post about it tonight.

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets