May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Recipe: Carrot Pie

(okay no photo available)

Carrot Pie

Double crust 9" pie
6 cups carrots (about 4 large)
1 1/2 cup milk
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt

Shred carrots; mix together remaining ingredients incorporating them all well. Line pie dish with one crust and put in carrots, spread them out so they cover bottom but they dome up a little (leaving a small ring between carrots & sides of crust); carefully pour in liquid and spread carrot so it will now touch sides. Wet edge of bottom crust with just a little water and put on top crust-crimp edges together to seal and cut off access. Slit top to vent steam.
Bake 425*F for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 375*F and cook additional 30 minutes.
Let cool slightly and serve in wedges.

NOTES:
Okay this is an adaption of a recipe I found online that I made today. I found the "custard" did not set up well at all--I would change it to:
2-3 eggs
1 cup milk

In fact I found the custard was rather runny...looking at the recipe again I do see that I did not cook it quite long enough (it was supposed to cook for 45 -50 minutes at 375*) but it was browning too fast. I say turn it down to 350*F and cook it 45minutes, cover the crust with foil and cook the additional 5 minutes.
Or it could be just from the extra moisture the carrots contained. It was an old-fashioned recipe handed from generation to generation so who knows what the carrots were like when the recipe was originally formulated--I know our carrots are a lot juicier than they were 150 years ago.
-------------------------------
Even though it was runny, and I didn't quite get the sugar incorporated thoroughly so it kind of sloughed on top of the carrots...the kids liked it. I thought it was too sweet, but like I said...I didn't incorporate the sugar well enough.

I wonder if the pie would work better if I used sweetened condensed milk instead (yup, me and that condensed milk...but it is a 2:1 ratio like s.c.m. is), but it would eliminate the need for mixing in the sugar--use the regular milk measurement.

I think to that the way I shredded the carrot may have effected the pie. Instead of shredding into little bits like you would get with a mill or grater, I used my specialty peeler that shreds so that my shreds were as long as the carrot itself--making long ribboms. I was expecting the carrot to mush out and form a pie that was very 'pumpkin-like' but it didn't. the carrots kept their ribbon shape and I think no matter how I had done them up they would have maintained shape.
--------------------------
Ease of preparing: 4 out of 5, grating takes time
Ease of assembly: 4 out of 5, takes some knowledge of pie making
Ease of cooking: 5 out of 5, just pop it in a cook-just have a timer handy
Taste: 4 out of 5...the kids liked it a lot
clean up 5 out of 5...one scraper, one pie pan, one pie server, one measuring cup.

Would I make it again? Probably but with the changes above.

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets