May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

What is so wrong with Spinach??

Okay so for supper i decided to make individual meat loafs for dinner - and I decided to also make some spinach.

So I cut up three peices of bacon and cooked it over med heat in my 2 1/2 qt cast iron casserole.
When the bacon was cooked I filled the pot to the brim with baby spinach. I let it sit for a while to wilt a bit and then tossed the mass to coat each leaf with the bacon fat and wilt it more.
Then I added more spinach so it reached the brim again and added a little water (maybe 2 T) and put the cover on and turned the heat to low.
I let it sit for a few minutes and then gave the contents a toss again. I tasted it and put in a bit of salt & pepper.

My problem was that the spinach got done sooner than the meat loaf (would have been great except the meat didn't cook all the way thru) so I let the spinach sit while the meat loafs cooked an extra 15 minutes.

Well, we sat down to eat and sure enough -- the spinach was a slimy mass .... but I thought it tasted great!

My kids on the other hand ....

Hubby informed me that I should never make spinach that way again -- apparently his family never had spinach growing up.

I happen to love cooked spinach (in small doses) .... it was always a treat on the table with liver & bacon.

On the bright side, the kids thought they were getting away with something because they could have a couple of tablespoons of spinach and they thought they were getting only a little bit - not realizing that it is packed full of vitamins & iron and only a little is needed.

Now if I had made it into a salad instead -- well then they would have wanted a large portion each!

Kids.

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets