You'll notice that I did not mention his age ... or his race ... they are at this point insignificant ... until we know more, they are not necessary to mention ....
Now if only ABC news had receieved the memo!
First thing out of the reporters mouth was the race of the dead man - however all he said about the officers involved were their JOBS .... apparently, cops don't have a race these days ....
I'm sorry, but if the ethnicity of one is important, then the ethnicity of ALL should be equally important.
But ... that must just be me, I guess.
Any how -- as it turns out Madison police, for some rason, do not wear body cameras ... wait - how did this happen? I thought all police were supposed to wear them??
I'm going to guess that it's an EXPENSE thing - and the city can't afford it .... even though Madison is a huge college town, it's got students from all over ... you'd think they'd have opted into the program but I guess not.
Story is....
Over the weekend, the police were called because a man was trying to open car doors without any keys .... and the police found him, tried to stop him, but supposeably he FLED ON A BICYCLE .... and they LOST HIM for about 1/2 hour.
Well, bikes are kind of slippery - they get to places police cars can't ... like stairs, skinny alleys, etc. etc.
well, they found him again 1/2 hr later and attempted to arrest the guy ... only this time (at least according to ABC News) he had a "fixed blade" weapon.
To me, we're looking at either a kitchen knife, or an ax, whatver - just not a pocket knife ....
And they tazed him - that's a lot of eletricity going through his body ... but the tazer didn't work!!!
Okay - now I'm thinkiiing, the guy has to be on something - it's pretty hot out, so I doubt he's got a down jacket on - THEN A VIDEO BEGINS ....
Yup, it took that long for a video to start ...
A small (4-6 officers) group of officers try to take him down .... the reporter said he was "on the ground on his side" - I didn't see that, I saw him sitting on his butt, on the ground, one arm in the air ... and then you can hear 3 shots ring out.
Last night, the Madison police tried to give a news conference about what happened, when a man took over he mic/conference and wouldn't allow them to speak.
Ok -- I can see the guy being upset, but why not WAIT for them to say something before you take over?
Guys - If we don't get this under control, people like Manson, Hitler, and Stalin are going to win ...
Everyone - step back ....
Everyone - take a breath
Everyone - just LISTEN to the police first.
But most importantly ....
Everyone - look BEYOND the color of somone's skin ... right now, all we can say is that even if this guy had been white, the tragedy would still be the same.


No comments:
Post a Comment