May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Battle Brewing

Okay I couldn't resist any longer yesterday....I had two weeks vacation and hadn't bought a single skein of yarn. I had to order my partner's needles for the exchange anyways so I decided to treat myself for 2 weeks good behavior and ordered some yarn from Jimmy Beans Wool.

{hubby will not be pleased, but I did keep the cost low, doesn't that count for anything?}

I got a set of sock needles for myself as well as for my partner (so she won't know which are really hers), along with yarn from Crystal Palace (Maisy) and SouthWest Trading Co.(Maizing)

Both yarns use corn fiber as their main content. The Maizing is 100% corn, according to the website; while the Maisy is a corn blend with elastic nylon...this tells me that they mean for it to be used for socks....I don't know how they feel or how they will work though.

I have looked on KnitPicks and Herrschners and can not find a review or description of the yarns qualities or suggested uses.

Now I'm a corn farmer....although you would never be able to tell from this years field...so anything that comes from corn pricks my ears. I know the stalk and item fairly well....I'm wondering how they made this stuff!

I can't see them being able to use the corn silk...that would just be tendeous to gather (okay, any spinners out there should give it a try and let me know how it goes)...I'm wondering if they aren't using the stalk and cobs somehow to make a fiberous goo which is then treated to make a polymer which is then drawn into threads and spun.

I will let you know how I like it and give my review of it.

I placed the order yesterday using a credit card which we save for emergencies only...they didn't take the normal card I use and "hide" from hubby...so I will be watching the mail closely for the next month.

I will also let you know what I think of Jimmy Bean Wool...they are a new company to me, and I'm sure many others, and as a shopper I like to read reviews for quite sometime before I order from a company---it took me over 2 years before I finally ordered from KnitPicks even though I only heard one bad thing about them (actually it wasn't about them at all, it was about a defect in a load of interchangeables they got from the manufacturer...oops I digress). I am very careful who I give out credit card info....

Jimmy Bean is the only one of two companies now that have this info so any problems will be easily traced...although I do NOT expect any problems....its just that I jumped in with both feet w/o checking out the "landscape" first. This always makes me uncomfortable--I went thru the same thing the first few times I ordered from Herrschners and I grew up with that company!!
Well got to go....I've got a 7 year old in need of a hug...and a good tickling!!

P.S:
It is Popcorn sales time! Support you local Boy Scout troop and buy Popcorn and Wreaths from them instead of the big box store...yes it may cost a little more, but the extra money goes from a program that has been around for almost 100yrs (since 1910 in the US)...scouting teaches our boys to be self relient, confident, to think about not only themselves but how their actions{or lack thereof} effects others and society. For the extra money you not only will help a scout earn "scout money" for camp, but you also help troops earn money so they can supply uniforms and books for scouts who are in need...no scout will ever be denied because of financial burdens, but the money has to come from someplace.

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets