May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

why is this a sport?

KSTP.com - Pacers beat Wolves, 106-95

Can someone explain to me the appeal of basketball? You have 5 guys bouncing a ball, they run from one end to the other and throw the ball at a little hoop...okay I get that, that takes skill...but if the score gets above 50 its no longer a difficult skill...especially when the guys doing it are only 2 foot shorter than the hoop---that's like an arms length--and its usually all by the same player on the team.

To me its about as exciting as golf or tennis--although I understand the rules of golf and can really appreciate the skills involved. While yes, eventually everyone will get their ball into the hole...you need to do it in as little hits as possible so there's some stradegy involved too...is it better to hit it as far as you can the first time and hope you can get the ball close enough to the hole to get out fast-or-would it be better to take shorter strokes and land the ball exactly where you want it on the green?

Tennis--its grunting and sweating, to me...that's it. Some skill is involved but luck has a lot to do with it--and I have to admit that during Wimbledon I've been known to get involved in a match or two....although last time I played my knees saw more of the court than my racket did the ball. I went for a high lob--should have let it go, it would have been out.

But Basketball.....I've played it in school....I've seen it on television....by brother was on the district champion team when I was in jr high---but I don't get the appeal. I think its because the scores are so high...it just seems to easy for the players.

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets