May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Uno makes Westminster history - Westminster Dog Show- msnbc.com

Uno makes Westminster history - Westminster Dog Show- msnbc.com:
"The only dog consistently listed among America’s most popular breeds for nearly 100 years, a beagle had never won in the 100 times Westminster picked a winner. That changed when judge J. Donald Jones pointed to this nearly 3-year-old package of personality.
Uno was numero uno, beating out two perfect poodles, a top Sealyham terrier, a sleek Weimaraner, a lively Australian shepherd and a sprightly Akita."

As you read this story you find that there is a lot of resentment for poodles! I have no idea why...each dog is judged against its own standard until the "best in show" catagory...then its basically a 'who wants it' scenerio.

I was glad to see a beagle win because I couldn't believe they hadn't won once during the 130+ yrs of the show...but I would have been estatic if the standard poodle had won as well. Too tell the truth I was surprised that the toy poodle took her class--I didn't like the way her toes looked when she stood still.

I would like to see poodles win it who are in one of the other acceptable cuts (most people don't realize tht there are actually three cuts a poodle can be in, now that they have taken the corded cord out of the ring-the pigs)...or some other color other than white...I prefer black but a silver would be a great change!

It amazes me how many people 'hate' the breed without knowing that much about them. I do think that if they saw more of what the breed has to offer they would like it more--like how you can use them for hunting dogs or retrievers, or rescue dogs, agility, tracking, water dogs, cart pullers, etc. they are great dogs.

But yes if you plan on showing them they are high maintainance--if not. you can keep their hair trimmed to 1" all over and its perfectly fine. if you can buzz your own hair, or that of your kids or husband you can trim a poodle. And if you start young enough you can get them used to having their nails done with a file so that you don't have to risk clipping the blood vessel that hides in there.

and despite what you read in the quoted article--beagles have their own grooming needs. I didn't like his tail though...I always thought their tails were supposed to be furred but smooth--perhaps they are supposed to have that flaggy look...I'll have to check it out.

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets