May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Not that I can find...it is NOT illegal to shoot a red squirrel

Animal rights group pursues rocker over squirrel death claim:

"'Squirrels mean nothing to me. I killed a couple last weekend actually. They were eating my garden fence,' Smith told Uncut magazine, although it was unclear whether he had confused the animal with their more prevalent American grey cousins.

...These animals are highly protected and anyone killing, harming or taking red squirrels from the wild is liable to prosecution and can face up to six months in prison and/or a fine of up to 20,000 pounds...."

Okay, I don't know if its the same around the world or not, but I know that MN has a squirrel season and "Fox Squirrels" are listed as being in season, but if one of the squirrels is causing damage to your property you are allowed to destroy or trap it.
But then it could be that these two squirrels are seperate breeds, I know that the European Red and the American Red are considered seperate breeds.
And my research (see I do do research) shows that the red squirrels are protected in many parts of Europe ... and is even so abundant in some areas that it is openly hunted.
I'm thinking they are using a rather liberal meaning of 'taking from the wild' ... when more than likely it only refers to capturing a squirrel for purposes of making it a pet - even in America that would be illegal. But I have found nothing that says that he could not kill one.

I love squirrel, btw. I have great fun with them. But one must also remember that when it came to killing the grey squirrels in Europe no one seemed to have shed a tear .... because it was an effort to save the red squirrel.

I find that an interesting fact.

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets