May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

News Ticker from FNC

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Sock update

I am postponing the Show n Tell this week due to lack of time to take photos of my partners socks .... I got a good start on them this weekend.

Actually I got two good starts ... the first I accidentally put 60 sts on the needles making the ribbing way too wide -- it was even too big for hubby's leg -- so I had to rip out about 3" of sock and start fresh with 52 stitches.

I have just about finished the first color changing pattern - I'm not that happy with it but it will work out -- I've been changing the number of rows as I go and keeping track for reference later.
Its a good thing I am doing both socks at once ... otherwise this would be a real pain to try to remember - haha - not really but I like being able to get both done.

just a couple of things that I have yet to master -
(a) how to balance 4 balls of yarn without getting them tangled
(b) how to remember which sock I'm working on when I set them down to get after the kids.

Actually I think I have figured out (b) ... if I have completed sock 1 then the needles will be opposite each other in the socks ... if I've finished on sock 2 then both needles are facing the same direction -- but now how to make it easier as to which pair I'm working on Red or Blue.

normally I can remember because the breaks are short, but like this weekend I wound up not getting back to for an hour and it took me 10 minutes to figure it out.

but otherwise I like the method, and I don't have to worry about SSS {the single sock syndrome} ... I don't have to worry about different tensions causing one sock to be slightly tighter than the other ... and any pattern change I make I do on BOTH socks right away.
but the best part is that since the stitches finished get pushed onto the cable it means that I can make that first stitch of the needle change tight enough to prevent a hole there.

Now I have to confess -- I really hate starting two socks on circs -- so I cheated and did the first 7 rows on dpns and then transferred it over to the two cables ... it made a nice tight ribbing because I used needles two sizes smaller than my dpns. then when I switched colors for the other half of the ribbing I used that opportunity to transfer it over. it worked out really nice.

I've even taken to weaving in my ends as I go -- and I can see the advantage of wool over acrylic in this matter ... the wool just seems to want to cling to itself so it blends in nicely.

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets