May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Friday, April 24, 2009

dye job gone awry

well not really ... I like what I got, but it was exactly what I was hoping for.


they should make some lovely socks -- it will have a wonderful one of a knd pattern to it.



I label these skeins "Close But No Cigar" color ways ... because while the skeins were colored the same way, at the same time, same dye-lots - they marled differently ... but they should make a beautiful effect once knitted up!



Okay so here's what I did .... I did a test swatch and kept careful records of ratios of colors (so I could make the batch bigger), colorant:water ratios, "cooking" times.



This particular dye lot used 11 parts blue to 2 parts purple Paas dye, to 2 cups water for 1/2 oz yarn, cooked for a total of 12 minutes. then cooled to room temp and rinsed then hung to dryAdd Image.



here is how it was supposed to look:





This is what I got instead:




here is a comparison of what I got ... left to right (brightness is off):



1) the color I wanted (deep navy)
2) the rainbow batch used to see who colors would blend
3) the color I got (deep navy dyed over just blue)



as you can see -- they are all very nice (and youngest daughter has already claimed the rainbow mini skein for a sock)


as you can see - its considerably brighter than I wanted but it should still give me a good effect even if it isn't the exact one I wanted.


these were pure yellow paas overdyed onto onion skin dyed yarn ... the paas was microwaved and the onion skin was cooked in a crock pot for a whole day (I really needed more onions skins than I had to make it deeper ... but you use what you've got)
As you can see the color runs from a subtle onion to brighter yellow - it should flash wonderfully giving it a metallic look!
I've been told that it could be that the yarn has simply taken all it can of the dye and it can't take anymore ... I don't know .... I haven't heard of such a thing but I suppose its possible.

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets