May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Freudian slip???

I was flipping around this morning looking for news on the Haitian earthquake -- nothing to make fun of, it is a tragedy and a LOT of people are going to be found killed by falling debris or from injuries recieved during the quake ...

Fox was chatting about something .... MSNBC was making fun of Fox for Palin ... but CNN had the story up ...

I'm not a big fan of CNN for politics, but when it comes to breaking news like this I know I can count on them to run the story into the ground with coverage ....

They thru it over to a reporter/anchor who was to give statistics for the nation and the quakes possible effects ....

" There are about 9 people that live in that country [Haiti] and you were mentioning one of the poorest countries in the world, and to say it is the poorest country in the Western hemisphere - and even before this quake hit just to give you a sense, about 80% of them living below the poverty line"

I had to stop and rewind the DVR a few times to convince myself that I had heard correctly -- yes he did say that there were only 9 people living in Haiti .... and that 7 of them lived in poverty.

Now I know Haiti isn't the biggest nation ... but I didn't know it was that small. Just 9, huh?

CNN did have the proper population on their footer, and the reporter did correct himself at the end of his report (someone must have told him in his ear) .... but it was funny.

The best part -- he said it with a straight face and didn't even question himself at the time ...

I guess they are missing most of a UN group that was down there ... and even the reinforced buildings down there just crumbled under the rumbling ... and I guess most of the buildings there were made of cinderblock &/or wood which just can't take the shaking.

This will get worse before it gets better.

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets