May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Guess I Can Drink In Two Nations Now

As you may know I am third generation American ... My great-grandfather came over from Poland.

My father spoke some Polish while we were growing up, but not a lot by the time I came along ... But he spoke enough to help repatriot Polish people who survived WW2 ....

He used to visit the old family farm in Thorpe WI as a child and spoke Polish then since his grand-family spoke little or broken English ....

Anyways ... I have two older brothers who speak excellent Polish.

I know one took lessons in the Polish section of our town ... Well, his town ... To learn.  Not sure where my other brother learned his - I always assumed that he simply learned it growing up.

I speak very little Polish and I'm sure that even has a strong American accent to it ... I can say hello ... Thank you ... Please ... Fine/good ... Butt (only I've learned it's the bad word for it) ... And then there's food names.

But that's about it ...

I downloaded a couple of apps to learn ... And they were free apps.

One was WordPower .... Everyday I get a random word with verbalization and some spoken sentences using the word.  

The other is the google translator with a mic so it can hear what I'm saying and translate it ...

Normally I do pretty good ... 

Not today 

Today's word was "55" ... That's it ... Just a number ...

Simple right?

Well - no

If I wanted to order 55 pierogi (they are soooo good) the waiter would likely bring me either 5 10 15 .... Or ... 5 10 .... Or ... 515 - I mean they're good but I don't think I could eat that many!

Or he would look at me funny because I might have said

"Life is spinning" or "life is a lot of it" or "full of it"

Insert sigh here ...

I can do this .... Really I can.

Oh and I put in 55 and had the translator say it in Polish ....

I thought that was what I said. .... 

Maybe I need to use my "Polish" accent ... I usually use it when I read to kids books about the Old Country ... Like Matrushkas cookies or Strega Nona or the like ... 


No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets