May the Gargoyle Be With You - Follow my blog on your site or Google reader

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

FINALLY THIS MAKES SENSE!!!

 I STAB AT THEE

If you are a fan of the original set of STAR TREK movies, then these words will instantly bring to mind a scene where Kahn curses Captain Kirk ...

I have gone my whole life - well after seeing the movie - wondering what the heck  that was all about ... it just seemed so strange

For background reference - since I'm not quite sure how many Trekkies there are anymore, everyone who likes the genre seems to be either a Trekker (New Generation fan), a 9'er (a fan of Deep Space 9), a Delta (Fan of Voyager), a few admit to being NX'ers (Enterprise fans), and then there are the Neo-Treks (fans of the new/alternate Star Trek universe) ...

Kahn was first seen in the episode "Sed Ship" on the original television series ... and he was played by Ricardo Montebann ... back to the character ...
He was the leader of the ship, which was having some issues with its life support systems ...

and upon boarding the ship, it was found that the ship was on Autopilot and that the entire crew was in Cryogenic chambers ... most of which had failed during the long flight.

Mr. Spock does some research on the remaining occupants after they have already revived them - had to in order to save their lives - and finds that Kahn was a proponent of Eugenics ... think Nazism ... the purpose is to "improve" a species (in this case human) by selectiving who gets to breed with whom ... 

Kahn is well read - he often quotes from books, usually the classical novels.

Kahn, with help of one of the crew members (a woman), takes over the ship  ... for a little bit ... and start looking for a planet to populate.  But in the end, Kirk gets the ship back, and Kahn - along with his other breeders as well as the CREW MEMBER who helped them - get placed upon a planet.
It is suitable for life and all is good.

Fast forward some 20 years or so ... Starfleet recieves a destress call from the planet ... and it turns out to be the same one Kahn was set free on.

Disaster hit the planet, and several of his people died - especially his wife - the crew member who had helped them ... and Kahn, of course, has gone nuts and BLAMES Kirk for ... um .... nature (Mother Nature, perhaps?) ... anyhow ... they fight each other...

And in Kahn's final scene he says "I stab at Thee"

Now I went to college ... and I had to read some classic novels for my classes ... "Gulliver's Travels", "Don Quixote", "The Brothers Karamozov", just to name a few ...

I had never ran across the quote that Kahn screamed at Kirk ... I figured the new writers had made a mistake and had just written a line for the character which sounded like it was from classical literature, or perhaps it was supposed to come from literature from a different world.

Well ... today I was only half listening to my radio show ...NBC University Theater, and today's episdoe was "Moby Dick" ('Call me Ishmael') ... and I'm listening for the end of the story (I record them so I can listen to them before going to bed sometimes ... or when I have a spare moment) .... when I suddenly hear "I stab at Thee"

Wait - what?

Its THAT line!  

I hadn't read "Moby Dick" ... don't know why ... Pirate stories appeal to me, but not this one ...
Now I will have to listen to the story ... find the audiobook afterwards ... and see what I think of it.

I might even write something about it on here ... but we wil see.

Interestingly enough, there have been several movies made of the book ... but I tend to get sea-sick when I watch many movies dealing with water ... hubby can'tunderstand why I don't like watching "Waterworld" or the "Pirates of the Caribbbean" movies .... 

yeah ... that's why ...

No comments:

USGS Earthquake Monitor

Buttons, Buttons, We've Got Buttons!

The Current State of the US Stock Market
Visit The Greenhouse The WeatherPixie
Click here to join MonthlyDishcloths Click to join MonthlyDishcloths
Subscribe to cheysuli
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

I'm gingergargoyle

gingergargoyle

This is the 3D me. Make your own, and we both get Coinz!

Traffic Cam Widgets